Meeting people is pretty much always awkward for me. I keep to myself most of the time and fail at introductions.
Greetings are always the same for me:
- “Hi, I’m _______.”
- “Nice to meet you, ______. I’m Lauren.”
After an awkward silence, the conversation continues with any of the following conversation fillers:
- “Where are you from?”
- “What do you do for a living?”
- “The weather outside is incredible today.”
- “Did you hear about that thing that happened on the news?”
Instead of you having to sit through these awkward conversation skills of mine, I’m just going to skip right past those few awkward first minutes with me and get right down to as many of the detailed, intricate, gory details of my life that I can fit into this post.
- I traveled a lot when I was younger, particularly to many national parks with my Dad.
- I took piano lessons from the ages of four to sixteen, about six years of flute lessons, and four years of violin lessons.
- I was bullied as a young child, but those experiences led me to two of the best friends I’ve ever had. (I’ll save the details for another post)
- I had never been in a school with more than one hundred students until I was a freshman in high school.
- I started cooking at a young age, and I hope to share some of the skills I’ve learned over the many years of practice. (One of the best skills I ever learned about cooking is not to mix up the salt and sugar- my mom pretended to like one of the saltiest, most disgusting cakes ever created because I was eight years old and she didn’t want me to feel bad.)
- I have two older sisters who are twenty-eight and thirty (I’m seventeen). No, I wasn’t adopted, and yes, all three of us share the same mother and father.
- I had so many random hobbies growing up, but unfortunately most of them did not transfer into my teenage lifestyle, so now I’m struggling to find hobbies that make me look like somewhat of an adult. My current hobbies include a newly discovered passion for comics, cooking, music, anything related to The Walking Dead, whether the comic or television series, attempting to run without dying, and anything DIY related.
- The best day of my life was when my niece Ally was born four years ago.
- The worst day of my life was when I went home to my house that caught fire during a vacation when I was twelve years old.
- One of my greatest accomplishments was losing twenty-five pounds last August. I gained about ten back, but lost it again this past month. I’m hoping to lose about twenty more this summer.
- Girl talk: I’ve “talked”/dated a few guys, but my first real relationship started in February this year.
- I struggle with generalized anxiety and depression. Much has improved in the past year, and I plan to share my story in more depth in the future.
- I currently work as an intern at a company that designs and models infrastructure. I am the most uneducated/youngest person there but will be learning more over the summer to improve.
I hope this post has given a small insight into some of the more intriguing moments of my life, and that you haven’t cringed too much at these ancient family pictures.
I’ll see you tomorrow!